[lbo-talk] More on the Freed Japanese Hostages

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Apr 24 18:52:58 PDT 2004

On Saturday, April 24, 2004, at 02:42 PM, Carl Remick wrote:

> Izzat so? Well at the very least I commend the Japanese for not being
> two things my fellow Americans are: (1) armed and (2) dangerous.

Correction. They are armed; the "Self-Defense Force," as it calls itself (because the constitution forbids "armed forces") is one of the largest military bodies in the world, certainly in Asia. I don't recall the rankings, but you could look them up at Jane's Weekly or someplace. All they need is a simple change to the constitution, or just ignoring it -- hey, when was the last time the U.S. Congress declared a war? -- and they're in business as a real military.

Are they dangerous? Ask some of the smaller countries in its vicinity if they think Japan is just a cute little pussy-cat.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)