[lbo-talk] Law suit in the making in Russia against Mel Gibson

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 05:29:25 PDT 2004

Apr 22 2004 9:33PM Law suit in the making in Russia against Mel Gibson MOSCOW. April 22 (Interfax) - Russian human rights organizations are considering filing a lawsuit against Mel Gibson, the director of "The Passion of the Christ," and the Russian distributor of the film.

"Several Jewish organizations and individuals told us that the film fuels ethnic hatred and cultivates xenophobic myths about the Jewish people's guilt for crucifying Christ," Alexander Brod, director of the Moscow Human Rights Bureau, told Interfax on Thursday.

The Moscow Bureau is therefore "considering filing a lawsuit against the film director and the film's distributor in this country," Brod said.

He said human rights organizations have a report from U.S. experts on religion, who "criticized the film" and said it was tendentious and incorrect with regards to Jews, he said.

"We will soon receive other reports and will make our final decision," he said. <>