[lbo-talk] More on the Freed Japanese Hostages

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 25 10:16:40 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>>>Bill Bartlet writes:
>>>
>>>"Are there any redeeming features whatsoever of Japanese culture?
>>>Nothing comes to mind."
>
>Izzat so? Well at the very least I commend the Japanese for not
>being two things my fellow Americans are: (1) armed and (2)
>dangerous.

They are armed. According to the CDI <http://www.cdi.org/budget/2004/world-military-spending.cfm>, Japan has the world's fourth-largest military budget, higher than Britain's, not much behind China's, and on a par with the combined military budgets of its former Axis partners, Germany and Italy. And there's a very aggressive rightist tendency in Japan that wants to be more assertive; the deployment to Iraq is part of that. Listen to my interview with Chalmers Johnson, which I'm about to post.

But you might enjoy this old quote from the largely forgotten Wall Street economist Albert Wojnilower (who along with Henry Kaufmann were the Dr Doom and Dr Death of the 1980s) which I recently rediscovered: