[lbo-talk] Lockdown NYC

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Apr 25 15:13:41 PDT 2004

JW Mason wrote:

> Unfortunately it's not just anarchists who have this problem. There's
> something seriously screwy about the whole Ruckus-style approach, which
> teaches how to rock-climb and set up tripods and get arrested but nothing
> about knocking on doors or phone-banking or, you know, talking to people.
> Seattle led a lot of smart people down a blind alley, IMHO.

A sense of contradiction is needed here -- and the contradiction which needs to be 'sensed' is one which has never been solved and probably never will be in a general formula.

"Anarchism," "participatory democracy," "consensus," etc. lead to the social structure characteristic of high school cliques, an invisible leadership grounded in 'charisma,' physical attraction, taste in clothing, etc. -- i.e. a leadership which because it is informal and invisible cannot be held responsible.

Tahir, Dennis P, Thos. S., etc. can give a fairly accurate portrayal of the other pole of the contradiction, i.e. the abyss of rigid bureaucracy formal leadership (even if democratically elected and responsible) can nevertheless fall.

I think the contradiction can be partially resolved within particular concrete conditions, but no formula can grasp that 'solution' in advance.

Carrol