[lbo-talk] Lockdown NYC

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Apr 25 17:52:20 PDT 2004

Eubulides wrote:

> [this seems quite apropos -despite the choice of speakers etc.- given the
> relative turnouts vis a vis IMF/WB protests, even as the most glaring
> cruelties of global capitalism are visited upon women.......]
>

> Abortion Rights Advocates Flood D.C.
> Sen. Clinton Draws Cheers Before Rally; Antiabortion Protesters Line March
> Route

> Police, on the other hand, would not make a formal estimate. Veteran
> officers who had been on hand for marches and demonstrations in years past
> said it was the biggest such gathering since the Million Man March in
> 1995, a gathering whose size was hotly disputed and that led the U.S. Park
> Police to discontinue making crowd estimates. At the time, Park Police
> estimated that crowd at 400,00, and organizers immediately challenged the
> number. A team of researchers then recounted the crowd from photographs
> and set the number at 870,000, with a margin of error that covered a crowd
> from 655,000 to 1.1 million. Some officers said they figured today's crowd
> easily surpassed 500,000.

It sucks how these journalists give such prominence to handdful of counterprotesters. When you have a protest of 500,000, a significant amount of your article should not be about 100 counterprotesters.

Looking at the pictures of the demo taken from the Washington Monument, it looks like the turnout was around 500,000. The Million Man March and Promise Keepers rally had around 800,000, which was much bigger than what I've seen of today's protest in pictures.

Good fucking turnout. Hope it pisses off the right people.

Chuck0