[lbo-talk] How many americans have passports

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Apr 26 11:42:47 PDT 2004

Brian D writes:

'"How many Americans even have an international passport? Relatively few."

I wonder what reasonably verifiable conclusions can be drawn from this answer (if indeed it is true).'

One conclusion to be drawn, as it was in Barron's a few weeks ago, is that since more people have mortgages than travel, it was wise for Greenspan to let the dollar fall and keep interest rates low. That's where I remember seeing the "18% of Americans have passports...but 60 some % have mortages" date.

Joanna