[lbo-talk] War and Peace

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 13:03:10 PDT 2004

> Dennis Redmond wrote:
>
> > > John Maynard Keynes, Economic Consequences of
> the Peace, pp. 11-12:
> >>
> >> The inhabitant of London could order by
> telephone, sipping his
> >> morning tea in bed
> >
> >How many people had phones during Keynes' day?
> Relatively few.

Hell, when I was living near Cambridge in the early 1980s, people didn't have phones. The house that my flat was in -- a converted mansion, we lived in the pool room, excuse me, billiards room -- had a payphone in the central hall. You wanted to get in touch with a

friend, you'd bicycle to see them. Since we lived nearer to Trumpington than town, that was often a three five mile ride - just to see if someone was in.