[lbo-talk] Norman Geras on the morality of the just war.

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 11:35:22 PDT 2004

It's quite obvious that unless you are an absolute pacificist, which Charles is not, I don't believe, that this position is a vast oversimplification. First, if you accept that some war is just -- say the war against Hitler, or the Vietnamese resistance to the various invasions of their country -- and you also accept that it must necessarily involve some killing of noncombatants at least by mistake, then just war is consistent with some unintentional killing of noncombatants.

Obviously this does not go to intentional killing, as with, e.g., the firebombing campaigns against Geramn and Japanese cities targeted at industrial workers, or even reckless killing of noncombatants. Nor does it offer any justification for suicide bombings and the like, intentional attempts to kill noncombatantas.

Nor does the principle say how much unintentional killing of noncombatants is acceptable, or what risks of such killings may be taken for what purposes and under what constraints. It does suggest that within the scope of the reasonale objectives of the war, the unintentional killings shoud be minimized -- incidentally I guess that was part of the announced purpose of Shock and Awe, whether you believe it or not.

All that said, there is a double standard that a lot of liberals use, that when out forces wipe out a weedding party by mistake in Afghanistan, oops, sorry, but if a bomb planted by resistance fighters in Iraq and aimed at a police station blows up a bus full of children, Outrage! Terrorism!

As has been variously pointed out, "terrorism" is a pretty slippery word, and it's less often applied to state conduct than it should be if it's defined the way it is defined in various national and international laws. Thus in the Patriot Act, international T is defined in part as the use or threat of force in a way dangerous to human life and in violation of what would be a law of the US or any state (if it occurred in US jurisdiction) that is intended to influence the policy of a government . . . . It's not hard to see that a lot of US policy in Iraq satisfies that definition -- even if the govt whose policy being influenced is not Iraq's!

All that being said, and the need for the anti-war and the anti-imperialist satruggle being acknowledged, it's also necessary to say that the guys running around blowing up trains in Spain and crashing plans in building here are really bad, dangerous people who have to be stopped. Terrorism isn't a bad name for what they do, either.

jks

jks