[lbo-talk] in Geras' black and white world, is this guy a terrorist?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 28 11:52:31 PDT 2004

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> In Steve's black and white world...
>
> Rahul Mahujan below says foreign Wahhabis are fighting in Falluja.
>Do you ever not knee jerk?

Michael, the same could be said of your knee. You constantly police sources for being suspiciously rightwing or stalinist or whatever.

To me, things are simple on one level, and not so simple on another. On the simple level, the U.S. must get its ass seriously kicked for invading Iraq so it doesn't try anything like that again anytime soon. On the less simple level, that means lots of people will get hurt or worse, and many of the people doing the kicking are thoroughly awful. But the U.S. did a lot to create this situation, by doing everything it could do destroy the secular left in the Middle East, and encourage what we'd call the religious right.

What do you propose? Parachuting in some DSAers?

Doug