[lbo-talk] Weather Or Not

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Apr 28 13:32:31 PDT 2004

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>>>Oh yeah, several times during the film, I was reminded of Chuck0 . . .
>>
>>Why?
>>
>>Chuck0
>

> Ayers talks about how his wing of SDS was tired of being the Permissable
> Left, marching in circles, isolated from the warmakers, etc, and how they
> wanted direct action. Also, the stuff about how it's impossible to be
> nonviolent against so violent and corrupt a state. And so on.

That's not me. I'm not against nonviolent tactics, just nonviolent lifestylism. The peace and anti-war movements would be more effective if they used more nonviolence. In other words, they are too comfortable being hypocrites who don't practice what they preach. ANSWER, of course, is not going to organize anything outside of the box, because their goal is to promote their leaders, not ending the war or the overall war machine.

The problem here is lack of strategy, lack of risk-taking, a fetishization of tame dissent, and control by authoritarian leftist organizations. The answer is not to re-start the Weather Underground, but to organize several anti-war movements that rely on a diversity of tactics. The pacifists can stick with doing nonviolence, but those chicken activists who glom onto the peace movement have to be honest that permitted protests are NOT civil disobedience. They may be nonviolent, but so is staying at home and kvetching about Bush. And I also think that we need more activism that is confrontational, disobedient, and uses tactics ranging from education to nonviolence to violence.

Chuck0