[lbo-talk] in Geras' black and white world, is this guy a terrorist?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Apr 28 14:14:41 PDT 2004

Hi Dwayne,

> What is necessary? I'm sitting on my radiant ass in
> North America, typing this friendly note and cannot
> say with any sort of authority.
>
> The question should be rephrased for clarity: what is
> predictable? What counter-actions follow, as orgasm
> follows the appropriate stimulation, from the actions
> of occupation?

I agree that some resistance _in Iraq_ was to be expected (to the question of how much, I don't have an answer). But it's not true that force, even when employed in vast and often inappropriate fashion, predictably leads to resistance. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The US destroyed imperial Japan and intentionally blew up hundreds of thousands (millions?) of civilians, and yet managed carry out a stunningly successful occupation. A much less brutal war in Iraq against a tyrant with little popular support has (as everyone knows) given way to a chaotic, largely unsuccesful occupation.

-- Luke