[lbo-talk] Indian Outsourcing Firms Outsource To E. Europe

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Apr 28 14:39:56 PDT 2004

> rediff.com
> Basab Pradhan
> Why Europe is indifferent to outsourcing
> March 01, 2004
>
> In a fast-paced business environment, European
> companies will not be able to compete globally without more flexibility
> in labour markets.

Gee, so that explains the uncompetitiveness of SAP, Nokia, Daimler, Airbus and Infineon.

> But to be able to work with, say, the manufacturing industry in
> Germany, local language skills are essential. Indian companies have to
> teach conversational German to their employees or hire locally in Germany
> or probably both. The problem is not insurmountable but it exists and it
> slows down the growth of global services.

Well, it's simple, then. We'll just get rid of all those pesky national languages and laws and identities. Don't worry, your DNA-patterns will be stored on a memory chip somewhere in the Borg hyperbrain.

> It [the US] is culturally diverse and in fact celebrates diversity. It
> has a natural advantage in that it is a land of immigrants.

Only if (1) your ancestors were white, (2) you are middle-class and (3) you speak without an accent. If not, you will face a society dripping with racism, revanchism, and levels upon levels of conscious and unconscious hostility.

-- DRR