[lbo-talk] in Geras' black and white world, is this guy a terrorist?

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Apr 28 16:51:41 PDT 2004

The US destroyed imperial Japan and intentionally blew up hundreds of thousands (millions?) of civilians, and yet managed carry out a stunningly successful occupation.

--uhm, well yeah, after they blew up millions of civilians...they had pretty much taken care of the problem of resistance. In Iraq, of course, the US hasn't obliterated the country to the point of bringing the populace to their knees. Now the US is trying to bring the country to its knees, so it can then liberate them. This is just all part of being a democratic country trying to do the right thing. ------------------------------------ A much less brutal war in Iraq against a tyrant with little popular support has (as everyone knows) given way to a chaotic, largely unsuccesful occupation.

--more important, the Iraqi population has never been sold on the idea that it was necessary to invade the country to deal with their problem of Sodom. Now we have to make them see things our way by force, even torture if necessary..so we can liberate them and privatize their assets.

steve