[lbo-talk] Their Own Middle Ages

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 30 07:29:08 PDT 2004

I just picked up a bit from Garcia Marquez that I think gives some point to the anti-war position of "Out Now -- no conditions." The sentence from Marquez, spoken by Bolivar in "El general y la fiebre": "Déjennos vivir nuestra propia Edad Media en paz" (roughly translated as "Let [foreign powers and foreigners in general] leave us in peace to live through our own Middle Ages."

No nation can be guided through its middle ages (or any other set of negative conditions) by a foreign power, no matter how well intentioned, and it is undemonstrated that U.S. has ever been well intentioned since the surrender of Lee. This does not deny the U.S. role in WW 2, but does question whether the desirable results had much to do with U.S. intentions. Since then there have not even been accidental good results from u.s. foreign or military policy.

Carrol