[lbo-talk] Listen, Chuck0!

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at lycos.com
Fri Apr 30 08:45:18 PDT 2004

This message probably will not interest anyone except Chuck0.

Chuck0, I sent a feedback to the Infoshop thing but got no response. My question is this: why is May Day Books and Infoshop in New York City not listed in the list of Infoshops? Some dude came in the other day and said he went to Bluestockings and had to find us because he looked at your list and couldn't find us. What's going on? Do you have something against someone at May Day (if you have an axe to grind with one of the volunteers, there's probably a long line ahead of you). Although I have no idea, never attribute to malice what can be adequately be explained by...anyhow, list May Day on the infoshops list on Infoshop.org damn it. Why is it not listed, and how come e-mails asking to list it are not responded to? I don't want to make a big production, I'd just like it on the damned list so more people will come in and buy some of the ridiculous junk we sell like Anarchy magazine or Days of War, Nights of Love or somesuch individualist, traveller crusty kid nonsense. I mean we've been around for a couple of damned years. We're called an infoshop. We have a red and black flag on the wall. Anarchism is our largest book section (which does not count Spanish Civil war, anarchist biography, iww/syndicalism and other sections). What's the frigging problem? I'm trying to go over the problems that could be in my head, so some bullet points

#1 We are called an infoshop and sell the kinds of books and junk the other stores on your list sell #2 We have been open for years #3 We have been open continually for years in the same location. There was a period of time where it was thought we might move out of the space, but that didn't happen. That shouldn't count for much - Bluestockings came much closer to completely closing down than we did in terms of even thinking about moving, and they're listed. #4 If the thing is you have a problem with one of the volunteers or collective members there, again, stand in line. Hell, the Trotskyites make fun of NYC anarchists for how much infighting, splits and purges there is in the scene.

All the info at http://www.maydaybooks.net is correct. Well, it says Monday-Saturday the hours are noon until 9PM. I wouldn't start waiting outside at 11:59AM though. Opening can tend to be later than that. Although we do manage to open at noon, sometimes. So hook us up, damn it. We've been there for years.

Also, if anyone here is in New York City, we're at 155 First Avenue. So come on by. What I said about opening is true, to be on the safe side, I would give it four hours and come in at 4PM, 5PM, 6PM, 7PM, 8PM. We should probably revise the web page to 3PM-9PM as the web page hours are a bit ambitious. Aside from that it is correct though, although we do sometimes manage to open at noon on a weekday. We even have books by Doug Henwood's favorite Balkanite, Slavoj Žižek. Although that is NOT indicative of what our literature is. We have lots of stuff - Rebel Voices; Black Skin, White Masks; Living my Life; Manufacturing Consent; Parecon, that sort of junk.

So hook us up Chuck!

-- Lance

____________________________________________________________ Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10