[lbo-talk] happy days are here again!

Matthew Snyder matthew at pobox.com
Fri Apr 30 09:51:21 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood writes:
> True, but you're forgetting that IPOs are more about the sizzle than
> the steak - or the promise of sizzle, even. Decades of experience
> show that buying IPOs is financial suicide (unless you're one of the
> lucky ones cut in at the zero hour).

Is there any way to level the playing field? I've been hearing some buzz about the OpenIPO model:

http://www.openipo.com/ind/auctions/openipo/index.html

"The auction process allows shares of an initial public

offering to be allocated in an equal and impartial way. All

successful bidders pay the same price per share."

Is this just putting a friendly face on a probable suicidal investment? And if not, what would attract a firm to use an auction like this, instead of the usual IPO model?

-- Matthew Snyder Philadelphia, PA