[lbo-talk] Peace, War, Inequality (Was Geras on Morality)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 14:03:39 PDT 2004

I'm less pessimistic about the end of war and its relation to inequality. Consider the following facts: until 1945, the nations of Europe were pretty much constantly in a "state of war" with each other -- not necessarily fighting, but preparing to fight, even through the "long peace" of the post-Napoleonic years. Nowadays it seems that the likelihood that the advanced industrial countries would think of trying to resolve a dispute by war is small.

Moreover, with the growth of the EU and even NATO, the sphere of nations that in some sense is included in this zone of nonaggression is widening. The wars we have seen since the War are wars on national liberation or imperialist aggression against or among poor countries -- Iraq, Nicaragua, Vietnam, Korea, Indo-Pak, China-Vietnam, Vietnam-DK, Etritria, East Timor, and the like.

So there is some reason to think that the richer capitalist democracies will not fight each other -- a version, if you like, of Kautsky's old "superimperialism" thesis that Lenin so derided (at that time rightly) in 1916. If this is true, then maybe peace will come when everybody's rich enough and entangled in trade, commercial, and security agreements. Of course that may take some doing . . .

jks