[lbo-talk] Bill O'Reilly: Now It's Time to Boycott....Canada

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Fri Apr 30 14:03:55 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

>> Doug wrote:
>>
>>> You never did answer Bob Brenner's question - just what do you
>>> Canadians hope to accomplish with your nationalism?
>>
>> Are answers permitted that don't assume (a) that all Canadians are
>> the same and (b) like everyone else everywhere and always "rational"
>> pursuers of "self-interest"?
>
> All answers that address the question are permitted.

All I can offer is what I think would be a rational ground for pursuing increased Canadian independence. That would be the protection and enhancement of those aspects of Canadian life that promote the development of the kind of "cosmopolitanism" elaborated by Martha Nussbaum in the essay available at <http://www.phil.uga.edu/faculty/wolf/nussbaum1.htm>, a kind I would also associate with Marx. I don't know of any Canadian "nationalism" that fully satisfies this criterion for rationality.

Ted