[lbo-talk] Cultural Change?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 30 14:08:59 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>Yes, the counterculture opened up huge holes ... one micron deep.
>While I recall the sixties as a great time to be young, I'm sorry to
>say the era was a complete waste of time in terms of lasting
>positive effect. The USA wouldn't be the utterly malignant
>fucked-up mess it is today if the counterculture had made any
>difference at all. Sad.

Oh come on. Relations between the sexes and among the races are far better than they were in the 1950s, as is the treatment of sexual minorities. Childrearing is more humane too; parents and children get along with each other better than they did a generation or two ago. I know there's a temptation to dismiss this as the realm of the "merely cultural," but it makes daily life a lot better.

Doug