[lbo-talk] Cultural Change?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 15:29:48 PDT 2004

>From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>
>
> > Carl Remick wrote:
> >
> > >Yes, the counterculture opened up huge holes ... one micron deep.
> > >While I recall the sixties as a great time to be young, I'm sorry to
> > >say the era was a complete waste of time in terms of lasting
> > >positive effect. The USA wouldn't be the utterly malignant
> > >fucked-up mess it is today if the counterculture had made any
> > >difference at all. Sad.
> >

>Doug countered:
> > Oh come on. Relations between the sexes and among the races are far
> > better than they were in the 1950s, as is the treatment of sexual
> > minorities. Childrearing is more humane too; parents and children get
> > along with each other better than they did a generation or two ago. I
> > know there's a temptation to dismiss this as the realm of the "merely
> > cultural," but it makes daily life a lot better.
> >

>I tend to agree with Carl. The "waste of time" is too polite a
>description of what amounted to goofing around.

As I said, the sixties were a great time to be young, and I miss the exuberance of that time. Regrettably, most of the real goofing around I've done has been in adulthood in the service of Corporate America. BTW, I'm not sure it's such a good thing that "parents and children get along with each other better than they did a generation or two ago" -- I'd like to see a lot more rebelliousness on the part of young people today.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/