[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is New?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 1 08:07:41 PDT 2004

Dennis Redmond wrote:

>Sure, but if there's one thing to be learned from Tom Frank, it's that
>Rightwing micropolitics is the flip side of quite real geopolitical
>conflicts, a.k.a. the fact that the US Empire continues to decay. The US
>really is under juridical-theocratic occupation by the combined forces of
>the oiligarchy and free market fundamentalism, so I thought Kerry's
>gesture was entirely appropriate to the made-for-video production
>otherwise known as JFK2.

How does it challenge that occupation? Looks like it only reinforces the permanent war master narrative. The pundits are saying that Kerry is trying to do to the war/patriotism issue what Clinton did for welfare reform - capture it for the Dems. But that capture means capitulating to it. Of course, in reality the Dems have never been a peace party - as Bob Dole put it, exaggerating only slightly, all the wars of the 20th century were Democrat wars - but perception was that it was wussy and weak, i.e., feminine. Now it's clear - no girlie-men allowed.

Doug