[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 1 12:02:34 PDT 2004

joanna bujes wrote:

> This is an attempt to disentangle the abortion wrangle:
>
> What is not debatable (for me) is who has the right to decide about
> abortions: the right answer (short or long) is the woman. If the debate
> is still on that level with this group, then let's have that debate.

A minor point: it's not really a debate, it's a demand. It has been a long time since I thought that this right is is one that requires the giving of reasons. As I point out below, I didn't have to give a reason when I had three polyps removed July 8. Until a woman decides otherwise, a fetus is a growth, period, no different from a polyp.

The right to abortion must be in the same category as my right to have some polyps removed from my colon on July 8. There must be no moral pressure: that is there must be no one around saying anything remotely like, "This is a very heavy choice to which you must give careful consideration."

That's why Yoshie's position is the _only_ position which actually puts forth the woman's right to an abortion. It's a medical procedure. It is _less_ than trival as a moral issue. It is no moral issue at all.

And the right, such as it now exists, was achieved by raising hell. Not by persuading people. And that is the way it is going to be finally achieved in practice for millions of women who do not have it now. That's why Yoshie's tactical suggestions are fundamental.

Carrol