[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 1 12:57:45 PDT 2004

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3846525.stm>

>Those must have been some polyps up yr. ass, Carrol.

Dammit, Dennis! Thought you'd be able to hold it until we got home! !{)>

Here. Wipe off with this:

The Facts Speak Louder Than "The Silent Scream"

. . . .

Claim: The 12-week fetus makes purposeful movements (e.g., agitated movement in an attempt to avoid suction cannula).

Facts: At this stage of pregnancy, all fetal movement is reflexive in nature rather than purposeful, since the latter requires cognition, which is the ability to perceive and know. For cognition to occur, the cortex (gray matter covering the brain) must be present, as well as myelinization (covering sheath) of the spinal cord and attached nerves, which is not the case.

An example of the reflex withdrawal without pain occurs in an anencephalic (absent brain) newborn. Another known example of the reflex movement at this stage of human pregnancy is thumb sucking in utero.

What is termed "frantic activity" by the fetus is a reflex response of the fetus resulting from movement of the uterus and its contents induced by operator manipulation of the suction curette or the ultrasound transducer on the abdomen. This same type of response would likely occur with any external stimulus. A one-cell organism such as an amoeba will reflexively move or display a withdrawal reaction when touched.

In addition, experts in ultrasonography and film technology have concluded that the videotape of the abortion was deliberately slowed down and subsequently speeded up to create an impression of hyperactivity.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/abortion/silentscream.HTM

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Don't just Search. Find! http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx The new MSN Search! Check it out!