[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is New?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Aug 1 14:47:41 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Johanning" <jjohanning at igc.org>

On Aug 1, 2004, at 11:07 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Of course, in reality the Dems have never been a peace party - as Bob
> Dole put it, exaggerating only slightly, all the wars of the 20th
> century were Democrat wars - but perception was that it was wussy and
> weak, i.e., feminine. Now it's clear - no girlie-men allowed.

Maybe you were watching a different speech than me.

Yes, Kerry said he would fight wars if necessary.

Was he supposed to say that he wouldn't defend the US, even if it became necessary?

He emphasized the line, which is a complete rejection of Bush's preemption doctrine, that the US should never fight a war because it wants to, only because it has to. War as the last option is not war party rhetoric.

Folks may disagree with when the line is when war becomes necessary. Most would agree that WWII fits the definition. Many argue that stopping genocide counts; others disagree (both on whether war is then justified and whether genocide might have been occuring, as in Kosovo).

People don't want hawkishness, necessarily. American has a strong isolationist streak. They just want confidence in their leaders that if, and it's an important if, it becomes necessary to act to defend them, they will act.

Nathan