[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Aug 1 21:31:57 PDT 2004

snit snat wrote:

> but they're not allowed to say it's human life, just like a polyp. To
> that statement, you said, "NO." It sounds to me like you don't want to
> hear that POV and you don't want to respect anyone who has it.

Yes, I said "a foetus is not a polyp." That would be not an opinion but a fact. You could say that both an Arab and a cockroach are forms of life, but if someone says "an Arab is a cockroach" you know perfectly well that what they mean is precisely not that they are both forms of life; what they mean is that one is an inferior form of life. When Carrol says that a foetus is nothing more than a polyp and that we should feel no more concern for destroying one than for getting rid of the other, he is advocating a certain stance as the right, obvious, ideal, eventual position that we should all adopt. And Yoshie is supporting him in this and saying that feminism takes a giant leap forward by adopting this stance, by refusing to admit grief or sadness as valid emotions to have about abortion.

I disagree, and I think since our differences have now been clearly outlined, we should let the matter rest.

As for respect, that's a completely different kettle of fish. I mean, I don't plan to send anyone to the reeducation camp for disagreeing with me. I'm just saying I do not think this is a step forward for women...or anyone.

Joanna