[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is New?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 2 06:44:44 PDT 2004

Chris Doss wrote:

> --- Brian Charles Dauth <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> Snip:
> Democratic decisions need to be overriden when they
> are
> homophobic/sexphobic
> and oppressive.
>
> Snip:
> Really? I cannot remember the last time I told
> someone, male or
> female, how
> to act. I may criticize, but I do not command that
> they follow my way.
>
> ---
> CONTRADICTION!!!!

Nonsense. There is universal agreement that a rather large category of "ways" are fobidden. I don't casually beat up small children in the mall. I do indeed want others to be commanded by some authority not to do that either. So there is _no_ contradiction between allowing x, y, & z and NOT allowing p,q, and r. There may be specific arguments about whether r belongs to the category of "ways" we forbid or not, but the charge of contradiction is a mindless kneejerk response.

Carrol