[lbo-talk] Amy & Norm

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 2 06:44:16 PDT 2004

New York Post [Page Six] - August 2, 2004

NO WAITING

NORMAN Mailer doesn't like to be kept waiting. The literary lion arrived on two canes at the Provincetown, Mass., Town Hall expecting to take the stage to address the gathered citizenry. But it turned out Amy Goldman's "Democracy Now" diatribe was only about half over. Mailer finally lost his patience. "You told me I was on at 8:45. I have a 9:30 appointment," he told the loquacious Goodman. When she yielded the floor, Mailer said: "John Kerry is not Jesus or Joan of Arc, but Democrats must learn guile. They've always been funnier, but if rage erupts, they lose. They must try moderation. Moderation is what Republicans live for. This country has a terror of excess. There is a profound conservatism in America."