[lbo-talk] Dancing in the Streets: Revolution with a Smile

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Mon Aug 2 10:33:43 PDT 2004

When the police shunted several hundred of us down a dead-end alley at RepCon '76 in Kansas City (my first big demo), I'm pretty sure the only thing that kept us from being beaten to a pulp was that Wavy Gravy had handed out rubber clown noses (I still have mine) and gotten a lot of people (myself not included) to put on their clown faces. They stared at us, with the headlights from the squad cars in our faces, and then they backed down. We didn't outnumber them sufficiently to overcome their superior weaponry and the box canyon we were trapped in--I think they were just embarrassed at the idea of beating up on clowns.

Takes one to know one, I guess,

John A