[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is New?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Aug 2 12:12:46 PDT 2004

Nathan Newman wrote:
>I'm all for the left "capturing the flag" of military salutes et al

-Yuck. Kerry was bragging about his performance in a war he once opposed! -Can't you admit the Dems ever do anything wrong? It really undermines -your credibility.

Doug, I admit Dems do lots of things wrong. I've long felt that the left should wave the flag more-- "wash it, don't burn it" in Norman Thomas's words. And there's nothing wrong with a line soldier being proud of his willingness to serve his country, even if he thought the cause wasn't just.

The left should be able to separate those two issues. Don't you think the kids who are willing to go off to possibly die because they think it's the way to serve their friends and communities deserve respect? We can argue that the politicians sending them there are liars promoting the war based on false pretenses, but that's doesn't retroactively discredit the moral intentions of the soldiers willing to sacrifice themselves.

Nathan