[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is New?

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 3 05:06:53 PDT 2004

>Here's a test-- name any significant social advance that started with the
>Supreme Court rather than in an elected body. There are almost none.

Who said anything about "starting" in the courts? Gay rights movements--and movements for sexual and gender equality in general--began in the streets and popular culture.

Like I said, saying that court rulings create backlash is not a good argument against using the courts. It only points out why courts are needed, and what remains to be done in the polity at large. It's not like gay rights activists haven't done their share of organizing, either. And lots of it for the Dems, who have been tepid allies at best.

Christian