[lbo-talk] Fwd: <nettime> Publish. Write. Sing.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 3 12:29:58 PDT 2004

[via nettime]

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:34:04 -0400 From: t byfield <tbyfield at panix.com>

Some group styling itself "Jibjab" made a cutesy animation mocking the US presidential candidates -- set to the tune of Woody Guthrie's "This land is your land." The company that holds the rights, Ludlow Music, isn't happy with this and sent Jobjab a cease-and-desist letter.

Lyrics from "This land is your land," a populist anthem, include:

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there

And that sign said - no tress passin'

But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!

Now that side was made for you and me!

Guthrie's attitude toward copyright, in his own words scrawled at the bottom of one of his lyric sheets:

This song is copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright

#154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it

without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn,

cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing

to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do.

Jobjab's animation:

http://www.jibjab.com/

MIT Tech Review summary of the situation:

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/blog.asp?blogID=1507&trk=nl

EFF, which notes that Guthrie took the tune for "This Land" from the Carter Family:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/001779.php

http://eff.org/deeplinks/archives/001782.php

Cheers, T

# distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission # <nettime> is a moderated mailing list for net criticism, # collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets # more info: majordomo at bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body # archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at bbs.thing.net