[lbo-talk] Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Aug 3 13:05:32 PDT 2004

the courts are a tool of the powerful, as is the rest of the US govt. this record goes back two centuries. this doesn't mean 100 percent of court decisions go in favor of the powerful; that's not necessary to protect the status quo.

if, indeed, nathan's point is that reliance on courts for political progress is dubious, the fact the situation is worse now than before is easy to see. when there's a decision that looks like it may be a bit progressive, it's usually 1/2 assed at best, as one can see reading the dissents, leaving various issues hanging, undecided, or rights simply destroyed.

Elaine Cassel's blog highlights this fact continuously: http://babelogue.citypages.com:8080/

articles on counterpunch.org tear apart the Supremes, and often local courts.

Articles on findlaw.com are loaded with analysis of US supreme court decisions and their flaws.

the courts are a political animal. politics is controlled by the oligarchy. this power wasn't "granted" to the courts; it was taken by the supreme court going back to marbury v madison.

one must bear in mind, the founding fathers disliked democracy, often with a passion. jefferson said, ""We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." you know who the US constitution allowed to "participate" in jefferson's day.

the 9/11 commission report, in its infinite wisdom and limited review of facts, stated, in effect, the problem is with the "system." they probably meant the intelligence system generally. their conclusion can be expanded to explain a lot of problems the US has: the problem is with the entire system of govt, particularly its committed, centuries old marriage to corruption. this is one marriage, charles, that won't end in divorce.

as i believe i've written before, the problems confronting the US will not be solved by top down approaches. or by the middle class. change must come from the grass roots and be focused by emerging grass roots leaders -- who tend to get killed by the power elite. this is repeatedly demonstrated by US history: trying to effect change through the courts, or the political system, particularly now they've been stacked by the right wing, is futile.