[lbo-talk] 4

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 13:13:17 PDT 2004

--- Nathan Newman <nathanne at nathannewman.org> wrote:

> Excuse me, but that's bullshit. Labor unions have stepped up to
> support
> gay rights issues far more often than the national gay rights
> groups have
> endorsed pro-labor legislation.

Which is correct and fine and dandy, but that leaves those of us queers in union-busting states with one less advocate and the dubious distinction of being supported by the spawn-of-Satan-unions (per the non-union majority).

But in the argument of political discourse via legislation vs. the court system, I think it is a wash, because both the social conservatives and the GLTB activists will take the constitutional issues of any legislation to court and try to get it before the Supreme Court for review. The key is getting the best case before the SC: one which they will accept and one in which the issues are specific to the civil rights desired.

- Deborah R.

=====

" How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks