[lbo-talk] Medical overkill (was Re MSF & Kerry)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 14:17:37 PDT 2004

>From: Jim Westrich <westrich at nodimension.com>
>
>Now, I am really confused. Are you suggesting that "false positives" do
>not
>cause harm, waste and unnecessary costs? Or is the "tone" too much?

The overall point is true that excessive testing leads to a valetudinarianism, false positives, true-but-meaningless positives (as with diagnosis of prostate cancer in older patients who will probably die of other causes), needless surgeries, and other individually debilitating and socially wasteful consequences. But it is pretty zany just to zero in on a small part of this problem and see -- as Brendan O’Neill does in "What a load of b*ll*cks" -- only some, ah, nutty plot to make young males less rambunctious. Medicine's ever increasing Will to Test is driven by more-pervasive impulses to control and, above all, to bill. I guess the future of the service economy won't be people taking in each other's washing but folks giving each other clinical tests.

Carl