[lbo-talk] Medical overkill, that asshole Nader

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Tue Aug 3 18:20:25 PDT 2004

joanna bujes wrote:

> Carl Remick wrote:

> > The overall point is true that excessive testing leads

> > to a valetudinarianism, false positives, true-but-meaningless

> > positives (as with diagnosis of prostate cancer in older

> > patients who will probably die of other causes), needless

> > surgeries, and other individually debilitating and socially

> > wasteful consequences.

> Judging from my experience, this has the makings of an extremely

> dangerous situation where due to over-testing and pointless fright,

> we give up on western meds alltogether. I have actually reached a

> point where I'm relegating western medicine to emergencies only

> and depending on acupuncture/herbs, diet, and exercise for my

> basic good health. My last three run-ins with western meds were

> absolutely disastrous to my health and seriously retarded/threatened

> healing.

Me lucky ducky! Being broke, I've gone to a doctor once in the last fifteen years, and not even once to a dentist. (And that one doctor's visit, for a bottle of penicillin against the Lyme's disease I got off ticks in a cow field, was 100% paid for by Workman's Comp.) At this rate I ought to live to be a hundred.

Iatrogenic malaise, tell me about it. I think the shrinks have got to be the worst. Once a couple decades back I went to a hi-priced headshrinker on account of chronic depression, and she prescribed fistfulls of Valium, it's a wonder I live to tell the tale. Later on I went to another shrink (come to think of it, that makes twice in the last 15 years) and that one prescribed Risperdal. ( http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.7.16.144159.286.html#7 )

On a different topic:

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:

> > "Don't vote for Nader. I know him. He's an asshole."

> Which certainly makes him a clear lesser evil in this campaign. An

> asshole any day in preference to two would-be mass murderers. (Bush is

> only a would-be so far, being far behind Kennedy, Johnson, Clinton or

> Carter.)

Carrol, do you suggest that I should vote for Nader instead of Kerry? I live in Florida.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net