[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else Is New?

Ylle ylle521 at highstream.net
Tue Aug 3 19:29:20 PDT 2004

> One of the things I disagree with is this timidity on the left to embrace
sexuality since sexuality is
> such a core issue for identity and human happiness.

Leftists, in the interests of that which most promotes human contentment and sense of well-being, should certainly be more sex-positive in general, or at least admit it matters some. <G> As to one's sexuality being a core issue for one's *identity*, I hesitate to agree that is true across the board. Certainly for some; and certainly not for others. I don't believe I am being a "pleasure hater" for believing that it's more important to eat, have a safe place to live, and medical care when you're sick, than it is to have access on demand to sex toys. Some people ascribe a mystical power to sex (just like some people seem to ascribe a mystical power to just about any powerful sensory experience that comes the way of humans) that I don't; I just think it is a great and wonderful thing we can do, and even share, and should strive to build cultures that honor it and say it's okay and healthy and very good for you.

And maybe someday (hopefully soon) Alabama will have people in charge who feel that way too.

Maria

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0432-1, 08/03/2004 Tested on: 8/3/04 10:29:28 PM avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com