[lbo-talk] They Knew...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 4 13:55:15 PDT 2004

snit snat wrote:

> http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/they_knew_0802/
>
> They Knew...
>
> Despite the whitewash, we now know that the Bush administration was warned
> before the war that its Iraq claims were weak

Everyone on this list knew. Every person in public life knew -- including all the DP senators and reps who voted for the war.

It's misleading to even treat this as a question that needs evidence. There was no legitimate cause for war, period. No evidence needed except minimal acquaintance with the history of the '90s.

It is bizarre to keep coming up with evidence that the Administration (and its lackeys of both parties in the Senate and House) could have known. It's like proving that a bullet in the heart is damaging or that it isn't wise to jump from a 40th-story window.

This endless repetition of evidence (new or old) only tends to suggest that there was a legitimate debate over the question, when there wasn't.

A year from now there will be all sorts of stories showing that there was evidence in May of 2003 that the only rational course was for the U.S. to bug out, with no attempts to create order or to install democracy or to turn on the water. But that was all obvious even before the war started. It was obvious to the first Bush Administration before they went to war, which is why they didn't occupy Iraq.

Various posters on this list have insisted on dwelling on Bush's lack of intellectual power. But anyone who voted for the Iraq War was _either_ equally lacking in intellect _or_ a barefaced liar.

Carrol