[lbo-talk] Sharpen your brain (a bit)...

Gary? sladeg at verizon.net
Wed Aug 4 22:36:59 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Very witty. You must be very pleased with yourself.

pretty pointless comments really, from me and you, what a pair of self absorbed wankers eh ? It was meant to be the first sentence in a collective reply to some of the abortion responses but I 'sent' instead of saved. I'll try again. I think people are so programmed in response to certain issues that sometimes they miss the point. When I talk of responsibility I'm not referring to the unborn child/polyp but to the sex act. Nowhere did I say I was against abortion or the right of a woman to uncontested abortion, I didn't think this needed stating, in Europe it is treated far more simply, when my wife went to a German clinic to confirm her pregnancy she was offered an abortion along with the all the other pregnancy advice , in England you would have to ask . The point I am making - if you are going to have sex and don't want to fertilise an egg then take precautions. In all the little stories outlined the emphasis on a womans choice totally obliterated the role of the male in preventing conception. Ehrenreich, two abortions in her 'all too fertile years' Yoshie,I was young and poor, living single in a foreign country, but, unlike Ehrenreich, I do not wish to suggest that economics was my explanation. Richards, I was tired of being on the pill, because it made me moody. Now Yoshie does say:Use a condom (a male or female condom) for Plan A. Use the morning-after pill for Plan B. Use abortion for Plan C. but nowhere do we hear of any responsibility being placed in the partners lap. What kind of jerk gives no thought to his partner ? When I started sleeping around we didn't have aids to worry about but horror stories of syphilis and gonnorhea meant I used a condom, regardless whether the girl was on the pill, IUD or not. Today the need for protection is even greater and to advocate abortion without emphasising the risks of unprotected sex is a load of crap.Ehrenreich might be 'fearless' when it comes to abortion but why wasn't she fearless when telling her partner she didn't want to become pregnant. When I started dating my wife we discussed contraception ,ruled out the pill because of the possibility of long term effects so I continued with the condom. As I grew out of my puppy dog shag anything, cum at the sight of an arse youthful tendency, we were able to eschew the condom. We still use a condom now and then, when staying with relatives or friends or just for fun. In thirty years I've fertilised three eggs and they've grown up to be real crackers. The choice for us was 'when'.

Gary? ride si sapis