[lbo-talk] The Iraqis are coming! (part 2)

Gregory Lipman gregory.l at mazdaace.co.jp
Thu Aug 5 00:37:29 PDT 2004

Iraqi Delegation Robbed At Gunpoint in Memphis

Two of the Iraqi delegates were robbed at gunpoint last night on Main Street in Downtown Memphis. The thieves got away with some cash, travelers checks and a camera. No one was hurt. The robbery comes one day after City Council Chairman Joe Brown slammed the door in the delegates' faces at city hall. The group was here to learn about democracy, freedom and civil rights in America. Members of the city council have now apologized for the incident. The council released a statement this afternoon that read: "We sincerely apologize for the embarrassment we have brought upon ourselves and your delegation. We would appreciate your forgiveness." It's signed, "Best wishes from the city of good abode." The only council member who did not apologize is Carol Chumney. Chumney happily met with the group in the first place and says she had no reason to apologize.