[lbo-talk] Progressive taxation vs flat tax

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Aug 5 09:32:57 PDT 2004

Doug wrote:
>R wrote:
>
>>a flat tax is the most regressive tax there is.
>
>No it's not - a flat tax is flat (and if there's a large exemption,
>it can be moderately progressive up to a point). A sales tax is
>regressive because the poorer people are, the larger the share of
>their income they consume. People at the bottom of the distribution
>could end up paying many times the percentage of their income in
>sales taxes as those at the top.

But the same applies to VAT as to "flat" income tax. The "large exemption" would take the form of a "flat" rebate of the entire VAT on the subsistence level of consumption expenditures. Just as with income tax the level of progressivity varies with the size of the exemption, so with VAT the level of progressivity varies with the level of consumption defined as "subsistence"--with the advantage that a large majority of people would directly benefit from continual increases in the living standard socially defined as "subsistence."

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)