[lbo-talk] Progressive taxation vs flat tax

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Aug 6 12:53:19 PDT 2004

On Aug 5, 2004, at 11:04 PM, John Thornton wrote:

> If I could eliminate sales tax I would as it is horribly unfair. A
> customer who buys a $200 item may be spending a weeks take home pay or
> just an hours pay depending on their income. They both pay $11.30 in
> sales tax which is almost 6% of of the first persons income vs. less
> than .01% of the others. Nothing even close to fair about that. Some
> retail items may be necessities. A new alternator for a car would
> probably be perceived as a necessity in some areas of the country
> where public transportation is non-existent. Groceries are the same
> way but some areas of the country do not charge sales tax on groceries
> or else charge a lower rate.

Absolutely right. Groceries, clothing, etc., are often exempted from sales tax just because they are recognized as necessities. But in a capitalist country in which there is very low political consciousness, the owning class will always be able to rig the tax system in their favor, because they can afford to buy the legislatures. Twas ever so -- but perhaps someday it will change.

As usual, Bill displays his ignorance of the U.S., even if his daughter does report back to him. He still doesn't get it straight. The Australian system is probably different, but everyone in the U.S. understands that the sales tax is not part of the advertised price. It only fools visiting Aussies.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)