[lbo-talk] employment

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Fri Aug 6 15:11:17 PDT 2004

Chuck0 wrote:

<< The political fallout of these numbers? Look for the Republicans to blame the news on the Democrats... this is the spin I got last night from a Dittohead. >>

Yes, that's the line. I overheard Dennis Hastert making the same "argument" in an NPR interview. Typically, NPR left it unrebutted, aside from some oh-so-politely veiled shock ("Are you really suggesting ...?"). The Dems' reluctance to back the entire GOP domestic agenda was really a pre-meditated attack on "the economy," sabotaging the 'merkin people for cynical political gain, according to the Speaker of the House, a tough but humble man who ably represents the rough-hewn, no-nonsense people of the Great Midwest (to summarize the rest of what I heard). Hastert is apparently pushing this all in a new book.

Not that it's easy to rebut an argument that's totally removed from reality, I suppose. IMO, the outlandish implication is not per Dem cyncism, but the assumption that the Dem elected leadership would have the foresight and discipline to pull it off.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:40:56 -0500