[lbo-talk] Foresight

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 6 15:44:45 PDT 2004

Dennis Redmond wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > Kerry is not the enemy; the DP is. Besides, if he wins this year, a
> > Republican will win in 2008.
>
> Don't trust your Palantir.

It's about time to leave Tolkien to rest in peace.

> The enemy is capitalism. Not a thing, or even a
> party, but a set of invisible, impalpable but terribly real social
> relations.

Yes, Yes, Yes. But those social relations are manifested in the particular foot soldiers in front of us. I've snarled at some people both on this and other lists for moaning about a lack of a "positive vision" of what "we" will do if we're ever in power, since at this time "we" are not even close to power, and the only way to build our strength lies in building opposition against "what is," not what _ultimately_ is (those "terribly real social relations") but against the social institutions and policies, and the human agents of those institutions and policies, that manifest those relations _now_.

And the DP is _the_ enemy in that it always stands between us and the mobilization of our present and potential forces. (Imagine firefighters separated from terrible fire by a flood-swollen stream: Only after crossing that stream, the _real_ enemy _now_, can the fire be confronted. The DP is that stream.)

> It just so happens that the oiligarchy is not the party of
> capital right now; they've become the party of Mordor. Out must they go,
> for *anything* positive to happen.

Pish! Are you utterly unaware of the growth that was taking place in the anti-intervention movement before we encountered this quadrennial destruction of all real political activity. Look how everyone on lbo-talk has been converted from political, economic, or social discussion to sports-reporting on the current pennant race! That is characteristic of the flight from politics of nearly the whole population.

Carrol

Carrol