[lbo-talk] Progressive taxation vs flat tax

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Fri Aug 6 20:08:39 PDT 2004

>Now John Thornton thinks I don't know anything about running a retail
>business,
>

>Bill Bartlett
>Bracknell Tas

Thanks for telling me what I think Bill. Saves me the trouble of having to decide for myself. Perhaps you could show me where I wrote that you don't know anything about running a retail business because I don't remember writing it. If your customers were price sensitive of a 5% increase they have little in common with mine. Mine couldn't car less about price changes of less than about 10% to 15% depending on the price of the item in question. A 15% increase on a $350 item would make a few balk but 10% would mostly go without comment. Also, I have yet to meet too many retailers who believe the sales tax has a great effect on their sales. Things may be different where you work I don't claim to know, unlike you who claim to know a great deal about my client base when in actuality you know very little. The discussion was really about who pays the sales tax the customer or merchant and with the possible exception of you most on this list agreed it is the customer who pays this tax and not the retailer. The retailer merely collects it from the consumer and passes it on to the tax collector without making a profit or taking a loss on that aspect of the transaction. Most of the people who agreed with that are in the US so again things may be different where you reside.

John Thornton