[lbo-talk] Progressive taxation vs flat tax

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Sat Aug 7 19:38:03 PDT 2004

Sales taxes are regional and in all of the cases of which I'm experienced require voter approval and in many cases are for specific projects and are sunsetted. If the economy is good there's lots of revenue. And if it's shitty, not so.

As for the all things being equal - well, you have to weigh the cost of the item and determine the saving versus the driving costs equation and decide what's worth it. That 'near proximity' is an elusive characteristic.

Martin