[lbo-talk] Russia scraps soviet era benefits

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 8 02:53:43 PDT 2004

--- uvj at vsnl.com wrote: I don't know, I am guessing. What would happen if responsibility for another 29 million of the most socially vulnerable people is shifted to regional Governments? Apparently regional governments don't have money to meet their obligations.

I can't understand why Russian government would want to cut benefits, in what is probably the best year for oil prices.

Ulhas

--- Hi Ulhas, the last time I checked the bill had been amended, so that, from 2006 on, benefit recipients can choose other to retain their benefits or to accept cash. This is usual Putin-style politicking: introduce a horrible unpopular piece of legislation, then step in and say "the government has gone too far. Clearly they are out of touch with the people. This must be chaned." He is playing Good Tsar vs. Bad Boyars.

With the regional issue -- yes, it is true that the regions often have problems making payments, due to actual budgetary problems or because of corruption. It may be the case that Putin wants to use this to get rid of the Yeltsin-era governors. "What? Benefit money has not been paid in Primorye? Clearly what we have here is an incompetent administration here in Primorye."

Some sections of the population would clearly be better off by obtaining cash instead of benefits. For instance, as it stands, benefit recipients who are rural residents have free telephone access and free public transportation. Rural Russia often does not have telephones or public transportation, so these people's benefits are wasted.