[lbo-talk] The Oligarchs

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 00:09:32 PDT 2004

--- joanna bujes <jbujes at covad.net> wrote: The "oligarchs" are a tiny group of entrepreneurs who exploited the disintegration of the Soviet system to loot the treasures of the state and to amass plunder amounting to hundreds of billions of dollars. In order to safeguard the perpetuation of their business, they took control of the state. Six out of the seven are Jews. --

I saw a truly twisted editorial on the Jewishness of the oligarchs recently in the Moscow Times, a veritable Moebius Strip of playing the anti-Semite card. According to the piece, the Kremlin is wrong to go after Khodorkovsky, because, although the writer admits that anti-Semitism is not a big problem in contemporary Russia, if Moscow nationalizes Yukos, the Russian economy will be "re-Sovietized," whatever that means. This, in the expressed view of the author, will result in a devastation of the Russian economy for reasons that are never explained. Then, because the commanding heights of the economy are run by Jewish oligarchs (like the dispossessed Khodorkovsky?), this will produce an anti-Semitic backlash in Russia. Therefore, we should all defend Khodorkovsky to spare Russia's Jews the looming threat.

Whatever.