[lbo-talk] Bush Listens to Sermon on Material Wealth

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Aug 9 03:43:00 PDT 2004

*chuckle*

Bush Listens to Sermon on Material Wealth Sun Aug 8, 5:12 PM ET By SCOTT LINDLAW, Associated Press Writer

KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine - A clergyman implored his affluent congregation, including President Bush (news - web sites)'s family, to jettison their material possessions, gently mocking George H.W. Bush's struggles on the golf course to drive home his point. <...> The sermon culminated with a joke about the first President Bush's battle to chip a golf ball out of an anthill. Swinging the club in a mock re-enactment, Agnew said Bush had swung twice and whiffed completely, wiping out hundreds of ants.

The ants got together and agreed: "If we're going to live, we better get on the ball!"

The former president sat stone-faced through this parable, even as his family, including the current President Bush, looked at him and smiled.

The ex-president gamely high-fived Agnew when the priest approached the second pew.

<...>

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=544&u=/ap/20040808/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush&printer=1

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'