[lbo-talk] Ten Ways to Become a Better Democrat

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 9 09:51:06 PDT 2004

Chris wrote:

>Why should Kerry be attacked for things he 1) did decades ago and 2)
>says he deeply regrets? Anyway, calling the Vietnam War "genocidal"
>is a bit of a stretch.

The term "genocide" is within Kerry's vocabulary, and he has applied it rather liberally.

If what's happening in Sudan is "genocide" in his opinion, why shouldn't Kerry regard the Vietnam War as far more genocidal, as he once did?

However, Kerry has taken pains to distance himself from his own moral and political judgements on the Vietnam War, and he speaks of his having called some of the American actions "atrocities," and the American political leaders of the time, "war criminals," and so forth as inappropriate excess of an honest but angry young man, disappointing his former activist friends in Vietnam Veterans Against the War (e.g., Joe Miller, "John Kerry on Angry Young Men and War Criminals," <http://www.vvaw.org/veteran/article/?id=82>):

(Videotape, MEET THE PRESS, April 18, 1971):

MR. KERRY (Vietnam Veterans Against the War): There are all kinds of atrocities and I would have to say that, yes, yes, I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed in that I took part in shootings in free-fire zones. I conducted harassment and interdiction fire. I used 50-caliber machine guns which we were granted and ordered to use, which were our only weapon against people. I took part in search-and-destroy missions, in the burning of villages. All of this is contrary to the laws of warfare. All of this is contrary to the Geneva Conventions and all of this ordered as a matter of written established policy by the government of the United States from the top down. And I believe that the men who designed these, the men who designed the free-fire zone, the men who ordered us, the men who signed off the air raid strike areas, I think these men, by the letter of the law, the same letter of the law that tried Lieutenant Calley, are war criminals.

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: You committed atrocities.

SEN. KERRY: Where did all that dark hair go, Tim? That's a big question for me. You know, I thought a lot, for a long time, about that period of time, the things we said, and I think the word is a bad word. I think it's an inappropriate word. I mean, if you wanted to ask me have you ever made mistakes in your life, sure. I think some of the language that I used was a language that reflected an anger. It was honest, but it was in anger, it was a little bit excessive.

MR. RUSSERT: You used the word "war criminals."

Kerry as a young man was outraged by US foreign policy, but Kerry as an old man now regrets what he said about it, while using the charge of "genocide" either to simply attack the George W. Bush administration or to prepare the American public for another foreign intervention or both.

Yoshie