[lbo-talk] Georgia won't seek early withdrawal of Russian bases

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 01:51:10 PDT 2004

Georgia won't seek early withdrawal of Russian bases MOSCOW. Aug 9 (Interfax) - The Georgian government has no immediate plans to seek the early withdrawal of Russian military bases from Georgia, Georgian Defense Minister Giorgi Baramidze said on Monday.

"We aren't making a painful problem out of this. If we sort out the whole spectrum of our relations with the Russian side, this issue may be eliminated absolutely painlessly," Baramidze told Interfax.

"If we have been able to establish good relations with America, it's only natural that we should be able to do so with Russia as well. We need the closest mutual relations possible," Baramidze said.

"Today Tbilisi intends to take an utterly clear line in building its relations with Russia. These relations should be free from any of the emotions that unfortunately exist both in Russia and in Georgia. 95% of our strategic interests coincide," he said.

For details, see Monday's issue of Interfax Diplomatic Panorama.